Children’s Activity PacksArts and craft packs to improve wellbeing for families, looked after children and care leavers.
Benefit of parent and toddler activities
Play therapy is a form of counselling or psychotherapy in which play is used as a means of helping children express or communicate their feelings. Play teaches the adults to be patient towards their children. Playing also allows parents to better understand their children and have appreciation of the individuality of each and every child. Through play, parents are able to have better knowledge of the personality of their children. Play also promotes good family bonding and well-being.
- buzz Start Well Develop Well Team – Brian Goodman, Dina Pieri, Ben Talbot
- Looked After Children’s Team – Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust
- The following 22 Sure Start Children’s Centres across Manchester
- Woodville Sure Start Children’s Centre
- Charlestown Sure Start Children’s Centre
- Higher Blackley Sure Start Children’s Centre
- Clayton Sure Start Children’s Centre
- Miles Platting & Ancoats Sure Start Children Centre
- Newton Health Sure Start Children’s Centre
- Collyhurst Nursery School & Sure Start Children’s Centre
- Whalley Range Sure Start Children’s Centre
- Longsight Sure Start Children’s Centre
- Rusholme Sure Start Children’s Centre
- Gorton North Sure Start Children’s Centre
- Gorton South Sure Start Children’s Centre Mount Road
- Gorton South Sure Start Children’s Centre Sacred Heart
- Martenscroft Nursery School & Sure Start Children’s Centre
- Chorlton Park Darley Ave Sure Start Children’s Centre
- Burnage Sure Start Children’s Centre
- Old Moat Sure Start Children’s Centre
- Baguley Sure Start Children’s Centre
- Sharston Sure Start Children’s Centre
- Woodhouse Park Sure Start Children’s Centre
- Benchill (Lyndene) Sure Start Children’s Centre
- Sale Road Sure Start Children’s Centre
- Asda Eastland’s
- Asda Wythenshawe
- Liv Talbot
- Tesco Cheetham Hill
- Tesco Stretford
- Avril Fulton – GMMH and Officesuppliesnow.co.uk
- Lin Cheng – BCEGI Construction (UK)
- BDW 3 Network
- CDC printing
- Specialist Craft
- Dorchester Fish and chip shop
- To improve the wellbeing of children, young people and families across Manchester through arts and crafts opportunities at home.
- To establish relationships with young people and families going forward, hopefully allowing us to identify their ambitions and ideas to improve their community.
- To establish relationships with young people in care as well as care leavers.
“I just wanted to say a huge thank you to you and your team. We have started to get the activity packs out to our children and families. They have been really well received. The delight on the children's faces and the excitement has been wonderful and the parents have been really appreciative. So on behalf of the children, parents and staff team a huge thank you to you all. You have really made a difference to these families.” - Head of Centres, Martenscroft Nursery School
“I just wanted to thank the Buzz team for managing to get funding for resources and putting together the fab packs for some of our children.
They are very grateful to receive them.” – Outreach Worker, Martenscroft Nursery School.
“That is great thank you. I have been delivering some today and they have been going down well.” - Specialist Nurse for Looked After Children
The activity packs were very well received. Still awaiting feedback via Survey Monkey.
Strategic links to local/national policies
Promotes good family bonding and wellbeing
Help child development
Increases parents understanding of children
Allows child to express themselves
Develops child’s social and physical skills
Ayling (2019) - Becoming and Being a Play Therapist. Routledge
Shah, R. (2019) Encouraging parenting behaviors that promote early childhood development among caregivers from low-income urban communities: A randomized static group comparison trial of a primary care-based parenting program Maternal and Child Health Journal; January Vol. 23 (1), pp. 39-46.
Zerger, H. M. (2016) Adult attention and interaction can increase moderate-to-vigorous physical activity in young children Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis; vol. 49 (no. 3); p. 449-459
Roopnarine, J. L. (2015) Parent-child play across cultures: Advancing play research American Journal of Play; vol. 7 (no. 2); p. 228-252
O’Dwyer, M. V. (2012) Effect of a family focused active play intervention on sedentary time and physical activity in preschool children The International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity; vol. 9
Brian Goodman - Community Champion (Start Well Develop Well)
Tel: 0161 271 0566
Dina Pieri - Neighbourhood Health Worker (Start Well Develop Well)
Tel: 07585 648 713
Ben Talbot - Neighbourhood Health Worker (Start Well Develop Well)
If you found this page helpful, maybe someone else will too?
"Working in partnership with buzz has greatly enhanced the positive impact we have on our community".
Rob Willis, Centre Partnership & Development Manager, Fallowfield Library & Community Resource Centre (The Place at Platt Lane)